Don’t you just hate to be around negative people?
Negativity can be in the forms of:
- Self-pity and always-the-victim attitude
- Inability to accept and apologize for their mistakes
These traits are all encapsulated in the word negativity. Negativity takes a toll on a person and their relationships. A person with such a perspective will drag you down sooner or later, it’s only a matter of time.
I am intrinsically attracted to people who are light, easy to get along with and are not prone to arguments or quarrels. Who would want to share a meal with someone who always wanted to start an argument with you, seriously? Not me, that’s for sure.
I just want to savor my dinner, enjoy the company and be on my way.
So, will you so kindly please pass the salt, hold the bitterness and leave your baggage at the door. Thank you very much!
Admit it, it’s so draining to be around such types. Bad vibes they call it.
Of course life is full of challenges, no argument there. However, how we take on those challenges is what truly defines us.
If you take on a problem with complaints or exhibit bitterness, anger and all that dreary-stuff, then I can’t sugar coat it any other way: you are YOUR complaints.
My personal barometer for checking if the person is negative or not is through sheer observation:
- Is the person prone to criticizing instead of encouraging?
- Is the person a habitual complainer (about their life, job, children, family, even the smallest of things)?
- Is the person always wallowing in self-pity, the everyone-is-against-me type?
- Is the person prone to envy, jealousy and I-should-haves-or-wants?
- Is the person still bitter about mistakes, experiences, etc. that are history and constantly brings it up?
Also a favorite of mine:
- Is the person unable to give praise and gracefully accept it when given?
Always remember: You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with. So, choose your company well.
On a positive note, I commend those individuals who, despite their trials in life still manage to uplift and encourage other people. They always show a friendly smile, are goal getters and action-oriented. They are neither rattled nor shaken by life, but instead tackle it head on. They manage to bring out the best in others even if they themselves are having a rough day.
You greatly inspire me and I hope I can match the stamina, vibrancy and love for life that you so clearly show. I am thankful everyday that you are not an extinct breed.
This post is for you. May you continue to light the way and be an encouragement to others who are also swimming against the tides of negativity.
Light. Love. Life.